Sport and Sporting Facilities
- Visit Somerset
- Neroche Scheme
- Day Out with the Kids - Taunton
- Taunton Deane Borough Council - Tourist Information
Sports Centres and Swimming Pools
There are a number of sporting facilities close to Holly Bush Park. The following local authority facilities are within a short drive of the site.
- Castle Sports Centre - Wellington Rd, Taunton, TA1 5AU
Tel: 01823 322934
- Blackbrook Pavilion - Blackbrook Way, Taunton, TA1 2RW
Tel: 01823 333435
- Taunton Swimming Pool - Station Rd, Taunton, TA1 1NN
Tel: 01823 284108
- St. James St Swimming Pool - St. James St, Taunton, TA1 1JH
Tel: 01823 350100
There are many opportunities for cycling in Somerset, and given the location of Holly Bush Park it is easy to get to the Quantocks, the Mendips, the Blackdown Hills and the forests of Exmoor from here. Contact TIC on 01934 50833 to get a copy of their leaflet covering the cycle routes available.
Golf Courses and Driving Ranges
Holly Bush Park could serve as the ideal base for the touring golfer. The area lends itself to beautiful undulating courses with enough variation to keep even the most demanding golfer satisfied. Close by is a wonderful driving range facility for the amateurs or novices to perfect their swing before tackling the full 18 holes at either of the nearest courses!
Gary is a keen golfer so if you would like any advice on local courses please speak to him.
- Swingrite Golf Range - Haydon Lane Haydon, Taunton, TA3 5AB
Tel: 01823 442600
- Taunton Vale Golf Club - Creech Heathfield, Taunton,TA3 5EY
Tel: 01823 412220
- Taunton & Pickeridge Golf Club - Corfe, Taunton TA3 7BY
Tel: 01823 421537
- Oake Manor Golf Club - Oake, Somerset TA1 1BA
Tel: 01823 461 993
- Vivary Park Golf Club, Vivary Park Municipal Golf Club, Vivary Park, Taunton, TA1 3JW
Tel: 01823 289274
Holly Bush Park is conveniently located for coarse fishing in rivers, ponds, drains and canals, and for fly fishing in lakes, rivers and reservoirs. Sea fishing is also available at Bridgwater Bay. There are several tackle shops in Taunton who can help you get started.
Coarse fishing is controlled by the Taunton Angling Association, who can be contacted on 01823 282 528. There are also some privately owned coarse fisheries in the area:
- Frogs Lane, Durston
Tel: 07771 993 135
- Langford Lakes, Wellington
Tel: 01823 400 476
- Hollies trout farm and fishery. Fly and coarse fishing, equipment available to hire
Tel: 01404 841428
- For fly fishing contact the Taunton Fly Fishing Association on
Tel: 01460 65977
Set in the Mendip Hills area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, The Cheddar Gorge offers the best opportunity not just for climbing but also caving and abseiling.
Riding instruction at beginners to advanced levels as well as hacking out:
- Heazle Riding Centre - only five minutes from the site
Tel: 01823 680280
- Sheldon Riding Centre
Tel: 01823 681118
Should you enjoy watching sport rather than take part then you could have a day out at the nearby racecourse, catch a game of rugby or spend a lazy Sunday watching cricket. If you are football mad then catch a Taunton F.C or Somerset's first Football League club in Yeovil.
- Taunton Town F.C - Wordsworth Drive, Taunton, TA1 2HG
- Yeovil Town F.C - Huish Park Stadium, Lufton Way, Yeovil, BA22 8YF
Tel: 01935 423662
- Taunton Racecourse - Orchard Portman, Taunton, TA3 7BL
Tel: 01823 325035
- Taunton RFC - Hyde Park, Hyde Lane, Bathpool, Taunton, TA2 8BU
Tel: 01823 336363
- Taunton Deane Cricket Club Pavilion Convent Fld, Vivary Park, Taunton, TA1 3PY
Tel: 01823 276151