The Village of Culmhead

Far from exhaustive, here are a few pieces of interesting information about Culmhead.

Churchstanton Aerodrome, built in 1940, was used by allied fighter aircraft during WW2 and had 3 runways and 2 observation buildings. The site was renamed Culmhead in 1943 because of confusion with another RAF base at Churchfenton, Yorkshire.

Between 1841 and 1875 the area was known for its Lime Kiln which produced slaked lime. This product could be used in both the agricultural and building industries. Slaked lime was used on farmland to break down heavy clay soils and neutralise the acidic land. In building, it was used as a white-wash and as lime putty. When the slaked lime was mixed with sand it formed mortar and plaster. Most of the traditional buildings in this area would have had lime used in their construction, a superior product to modern cements in that it allows the building to breathe.

The Holman Clavel Inn has been a feature of Culmhead since the fifteen hundreds. Andrew Green notes in his book 'Ghosts of Today' that it is perhaps haunted. Extracts from his book can be found at www.mystical-www.co.uk where he writes:

"About 600 years old this former hostelry for monks on their way to Glastonbury is well-known for its skittle alley and 'Charlie' the ghost. Knowing nothing about the haunting, guests have been woken in the early hours by the sound of skittles being played, though, of course, the alley is empty and locked at the time. Mysterious and inexplicable crashes have been heard and objects frequently vanish of their own accord. The ghost, seen only three times since 1970, is that of a monk 'with a long, flowing white robe' standing near a wash basin in one of the bedrooms."